1. 1920-1954: the early stages of development, not only to catch up with MLB, but also need to compete with the University of the audience, but the NFL at this time to make a lot of radical rules to adjust the game more ornamental, so the professional game of the audience gradually change More and more widely.
2. 1955-1958: Prior to the promulgation of the Sports Radio Act of 1961, the television rights were negotiated by the team alone on the television network (like the University’s Notre Dame Football On NBC broadcast right), and NFL was the earliest before NBC received television rights Began in 1951 by the DuMont television network broadcast Giants, Steelers, Skins, Eagles sporadic game, the 1951 NFL championship is its first true sense of the national live. But DuMont apparently in the broadcast game powerless, the main reason is that he did not Like the old network NBC / CBS as in the local have more affiliate television, so it is difficult to really broadcast the nationalization .196 DuMont collapse, the previous year NBC took over the right to broadcast the Union exposure significantly increased, the 1958 championship The greatest game) because the first use of sudden death overtime rules, ratings reached a terrible 45 million, even more than 10 years after the first few years Super Bowl.
In the stage of the rapid development of television, Pete accurately seized the opportunity to collectively negotiate a national broadcast agreement after the promulgation of the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. In the case of the rapid development of television, Pete Rozelle = NFL David Stern, When the NFL is far more powerful than the MLB negotiations, because the weekly action of football is more than baseball, basketball and other daily game more popular by the television network, because the week of a strong game, do not need to network Sacrifice to adjust the program table, and in that era TV ratings are often higher than the sports competition, so Pete is easy at the right price to get the maximum TV exposure. At the same time baseball has almost developed to the peak, in the negotiations obviously Will be higher prices, lack of competitiveness, so from this perspective, the characteristics of the US television industry has also led to the NFL beyond the MLB is only a matter of time in addition to the AFL competition to the NFL brought great pressure at the same time bring more broadcast Contracts and a broader mass base, after the merger on the NFL is a hundred and no harm.
4. 1970-present: Pete’s concept of a night game has an indelible contribution to increasing the popularity of the NFL (before DuMont had broadcast Saturday night games in 1953-54, but the ratings were horrified) ABC Monday night was born on September 21, 1970, the achievements of a legendary prime-time program, until 2006 by the spiritual generation of NBC Sunday night game replaced. Super Bowl’s birth further increased the influence of the Union, MLB has completely dropped at this time But the NFL regular season or occasionally to make way for the baseball playoffs, especially to the LCS and World Series stage, which is now in the cable TV / network age is simply unimaginable.
In general, the NFL goes beyond the MLB has its inevitability and contingency, and ultimately because of its extensive movement of the mass base to make it a true national movement, through the five professional league, the United States is the only real people concerned about the movement , NFL in the country generally widespread degree of concern, the most direct reflected in the autumn and winter each year to click on any mainstream city newspaper sports version, NFL is the only one to occupy the topic of eternity, and baseball, basketball, ice hockey Will be based on different areas have different emphasis on the report in addition to the University of the United States by the degree of concern is also second only to the NFL, plus gambling and Fantasy Football and nearly this year’s controversial DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports), even if there are so many Scandal ridden NFL is still climbing to the top of the pyramid, and other alliances have their own audience defects:
1. MLB: catastrophic 1994-95 shut down and decades of the PED problem has lost too many viewers, the World Series ratings and attention drop again and again, into the 21st century after the millennium has no longer care The indifference of baseball, young people and minorities (especially blacks) to baseball is a big question mark on the future of the sport. Baseball is still more popular in some regional markets than other non-US footers, but more Of the baseball fans only concerned about their own team, baseball is no longer as the national pastime as a must-see program, serious old white audience is one of its biggest problem.
2. NBA: urbanization movement, in small towns and rural areas are not popular, but the NBA TV audience age second, second only to football, from the perspective of the NBA after the NFL, college, soccer network NBA is also much more developed than other non-American sports, although in some regional markets, local basketball team is less than the local baseball team welcome, but the future of the future audience health is much better than the MLB.
3. NHL: Northeast Caucasian movement, as the Canadian movement, hockey has never been at the feet of their neighbors really take root, the lack of mass base to make the regional movement of the situation is not easy to change.
4. MLS: the overall development of football is still the rapid development of the World Cup audience average age of 38 years old, much lower than other sports, the audience diversity is the biggest advantage of football, the Premier League in the United States Saturday / Sunday NBCSN ratings have been sustained More than NHL night prime time, perhaps after 20-30 years have become the potential of the national movement.But for a world of second and third tier football league, MLS really into the ordinary people there are still huge obstacles.
NFL has Pete Rozelle, the legendary Director General, from the 1960s to the late 80s, for the NFL at the helm for three decades, the status of the equivalent of more familiar with the domestic NBA David Stern. Under the command of Pete Rozelle, NFL became the most profitable sports league in North America, the biggest of which is the two points: First, television. NFL’s takeoff and the fifties and sixties television popularity in the United States is inseparable. At this point, its rival MLB is less than one. It may be related to the characteristics of both sports, rugby is more suitable for television, with close-up to repeat the intense body collision, and baseball is more suitable for watching the game. May wish to compare the side of the NBA, MLB in the United States certainly on the status of the NBA, but if you watch TV ratings data, in fact, the NBA but also slightly better. This also shows that, compared to football and basketball, television performance is not just baseball director. In short, won the TV, won the future (for four or five years ago). Second, the average distribution of television broadcast income. All the team interests are James, so that the small market team also retain the possibility of the impact of the championship, there is little giants team rule of the situation year after year. And MLB is different, the New York Yankees in that, is always a strong team. NFL’s strategy is conducive to maintaining the balance of the entire Union, to strengthen competition. In addition, the development of affiliated derivatives, of course, is also important, but television is the core.